What is Osteoarthritis?
To know more about the causes of knee pain, available treatment options, please view our section on knee pain and osteoarthritis (OA)
Osteoarthritis (OA) is one of the leading causes of severe long-term pain and disability, with over 100 million individuals suffering from this debilitating disease world-wide.
In addition to the functional disability, reduced quality of life, and loss of income for the patient, OA is a major burden on health and social care systems.
*TKR (Total Knee Replacements)
- Katz N, Losina E. Burden of OA – Health Services and Economics. OARSI Primer 2010. http://primer.oarsi.org/content/oarsi-primer
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Osteoarthritis. http://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/basics/osteoarthritis.htm
- Bitton R. Am J Managed Care 2009.
- Bhatia D. et al. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2013; 5(1): 30–38.
- Statistics by Country for Osteoarthritis. http://www.cureresearch.com/o/osteoarthritis/stats-country
- Frost and Sullivan. European Osteoarthritis Markets, June 2007.
- Hospital Episode Statistics. Main Procedures and Interventions: 4 Character Inpatient Data 2009–10. 2010. http://www.hesonline.nhs.uk/Ease/servlet/ContentServer?siteID=1937&categoryID=215.
- Arthritis Research UK. http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/Arthritis-information/Conditions/Osteoarthritis/Whatis-Osteoarthritis
- Yoshimura N. et al. J Bone Miner Metab 2009.
- Zhang Y. et al. Arthritis Rheum 2001.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2007. A picture of osteoarthritis in Australia. Arthritis series no. 5. Cat. No. PHE 93, Canberra: AIHW.